Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lots O Stuff

I'm sitting in the San Jose airport and I guess it's time to review the past couple of weeks. I went to an ultimate frisbee tournament north of Salt Lake City two weekends ago. A couple days after that, I went to bed around 11pm and woke up an hour later to puke my guts out. I puked three more times, once per hour, and finally went to the emergency room to get better around 4am. They got me on IV and made sure I didn't have anything too bad (like swine flu), and I left a couple hours later. The whole day was pretty much lost to sleeping and recovering, but after that I was a lot better. A couple days after that, essentially the same thing happened to Tiff. I guess it was some kind of stomach virus that was quick onset, quick recovery. Of course quick recovery involves 24-36 straight hours of sleep...

Then, this past week I was in Tucson for a meeting with my thesis committee. It didn't go too badly, although there were some bumps along the way. I think the main thing is that I seem to be making some progress. There's still a bit of uncertainty in how things are going to finish up in the next year, but I think it's not unreasonable.

Meanwhile, Tiff left for a field trip for work at 6am on Thursday. 11 hours later, Tiffany's co-worker Morgan was going to drop Sirius off at home before picking me up at the airport returning from Tucson. Unfortunately, she discovered that our house had been broken into. The thief(eves) busted down the door into the dining room and took my old laptop and a stereo receiver before (presumably) getting spooked and taking off. There was a lot more they could have taken but did not, so it could have been a lot worse than it was.

I talked to the cops that night and we walked through the house, while I pointed out the few things that were taken. I was in a pretty weird state of mind. I thought I would be ok, but when I saw the busted-up door, I just freaked out and had a difficult time functioning. I guess that's a normal reaction, who knows.

The next day, I went around telling the neighbors about what happened, and cleaning up the mess in the dining room. Then I got on my flight to San Jose for my sister's graduation ceremony from SJSU library school. It was a good ceremony, with good speeches emphasizing how important it will be in the coming years to maintain the level of access to information that we currently have, and how librarians will play a critical role in that endeavor.

Today my family went to see the new Star Trek movie in the theaters. I liked the characters (except for the one-dimensional, boring villain). The plot was iffy / so-so, but that's usually the way it is with Star Trek.

I'm supposed to arrive in SLC at 8:20pm, and then I'll get a few weeks uninterrupted at home. It'll be nice not to have to travel for awhile. Ok, I'm exhausted! Adios.


Lorene said...

It was so good to have you here in San Jose. Thanks for all the help this weekend. I love the picture thing!! Love MOM

Jeffra Diane said...

I was exhausted, too, when I got home. Thanks for coming home for my graduation. It was nice to have us all together (and see the Star Trek movie together!!!!).